Saturday, May 24, 2008

Lynn Shelton 101: My Effortless Brilliance

MY EFFORTLESS BRILLIANCE
(Lynn Shelton, US, 2008, 97 mins.)


I found the texture of the relationships and the sly humor winning and
was impressed with the performances.

-- Sean Axmaker, GreenCine

***** ***** ***** ***** *****

Local luminary Lynn Shelton's follow-up to her entrancing debut, We Go Way Back, which made its first appearance at this year's SXSW Film Festival, debuts tonight in Seattle at the Egyptian Theater (805 East Pine St.). According to the press notes, "Two estranged friends and an enigmatic third wheel navigate their way through an awkward weekend with alcohol and sarcasm. Then they go on a cougar hunt."

The semi"mprovised feature stars actor/musicians Sean Nelson (Harvey Danger, the Long Winters), Basil Harris ("Awesome"), and Calvin Reeder (Private Beach) and offers cinematography from Benjamin Kasulke (WGWB, Brand Upon the Brain!). Unfortunately, I wasn't able to make it to the press screening, but fellow Seattle Film Blogger David Jeffers praised Kasulke's work when we discussed it a few days ago.

[image]
Maggie Brown and Amber Hubert in We Go Way Back

Click here for my review of We Go Way Back, one of my favorite films of 2006, here for my interview with Shelton, and here for Axmaker's more recent Q&A with the director.

[image]
Lynn Shelton

My Effortless Brilliance plays tonight, 5/24, at 9:30pm and repeats on Mon., 5/26, at 4pm (both screenings at the Egyptian). For more information, please visit the official website. The Northwest Film Forum hosts tonight's afterparty, starting at 11:30pm. 7/17 Update: IFC has acquired My Effortless Brilliance and will release the film in August as part of Festival Direct. Images from The Post-Intelligencer and Parallax View

1 comment:

  1. I caught this last night, and it was really well done.
    Very clever, and kept me interested throughout. I'd recommend everyone try to catch the 4pm screening at the Egyptian tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete