Monday, June 25, 2007

SIFF 2007: Amie's Wrap-Up

Sadly, this is my second year of not attending as many films as I would have liked to - but I have a valid excuse this time: I was buying a house and moving in with my boyfriend, which took (and is still taking) a lot more time than I could have imagined. But! I'll leave the details of that out...and next year everyone will FEAR my mad SIFF movie skillz when I make up for this one.

In total, I saw (only!) 15 films this year. The opening night party was great, but I also missed the closing night party due to illness. I guess the good news about that is managing to skip a raging hangover (Hi Steven!). Here's the breakdown (in another nod to Steven- because I've formatted my list similarly):

Films I am most likely to purchase (5 on the SIFF ratings scale):
The Signal
Girls Rock!
Paris, Je t'aime
Daespo Naughty Girls

Films I am most likely to watch again (4):
Son of Rambow
2 Days in Paris
Cashback

Films I would watch again, if they happened to be on (3):
The Little Book of Revenge
Fido
Children of War

Films I don't ever want to watch again, for ANY reason (1):
Monkey Warfare
Out at the Wedding
Sounds of Sand
The Guardian's Son

Film I wish I never laid eyes on :
To Get to Heaven, First You Have to Die

Girls Rock! image from the IMDb 

3 comments:

  1. Only 15? U r so lame.
    But seriously, sorry you couldn't make it to the closing night party. The Pan Pacific Hotel was a nice venue with lots of rooms to stroll through and there was never too much crowding at the bar [at least, I never had trouble getting drinks]. I ran into Gary Tucker, while returning some screeners, and he said the Pan Pacific wants to be the official SIFF hotel next year, so the whole press operation, as well as the closing night party, might be there in 2008.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Monkey Warfare just wasn't my bag - I thought it started out okay, but then just disintegrated into boredom. And I really wasn't a fan of the director's style.
    Steven, I know. I KNOW. Believe me, I KNOW! I feel super lame - and very, very sad. But I swear, nothing will keep me from more SIFF next year. I will ramp up to my usual 35+ films!!! And that's cool about the hotel. I will have to check it out one of these days...if I ever leave the house again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the house and move"n! I just did the same earlier this year, so I feel your pain/thrill. Amazingly I only saw one movie on your list which I agree was good. The last short with the narrating Parisian tourist by Alexander Payne was my favorite.

    ReplyDelete